Sunday, November 16, 2008

Power to the Poster

This is a pretty cool poster project: easily accessible (downloadable actually) artwork to make blank walls say something meaningful.


I came across this site, when checking out thirty grunge web designs at Sixrevisions. It brought me back to an interview I did over the summer with Favianna Rodriguez and Josh MacPhee, who had just released the book Reproduce & Revolt, a collection of social art across genres for activists worldwide to use as a reference.

Said MacPhee in that interview:

"We now have access to technology that allows us to easily and inexpensively distribute images around the world. What that has led to is people taking and evolving images and ideas nearly instantaneously. An artist in Buenos Aires will create a stencil against the war and put it up on the street – within twenty-four hours a photo of that is put up on the Internet and someone in Europe pulls it down and makes her own version of it and prints it on a flyer and sends it to a friend in another country and she takes it out and does something else with it. People are making the graphics just like they were a hundred years ago, but now they have the tools to shoot them halfway across the world in an instant."




You can read more and learn more about social art (and how it's changed in the digital age) in the interview here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wassup?
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth talking about: I found a awesome deal on one-of-a-kind [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] Contemporary Entertainment Centers [/b][/url]. These guys have 24/7 live service and they installed AND delivered my custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] Plasma TV Lift [/b][/url]all for Free!!! I would recommend these guys for anyone interested in improving their home's design



Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Hey Wassup?
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth writing about: I found a nice resource on [url=http://html2rss.com/rss.php?id=235770[b]Buy Entertainment Center & TV Stands [/b][/url].
Check these out I highly recommend